A delicious start to the day!
1/4 cup Rolled oats
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/4 cup Almond milk
3/4 cup Water
3 ice cubes
1 tsp Maca root
Dash of Nutmeg
Directions: Blend together and garnish with unsweetened shredded coconut and 1 tsp Chia seeds
Did you know?
If you’re trying to quite smoking, banana’s contain high levels of vitamin B, potassium and magnesium to counteract withdrawal effects!
- Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps
- Reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells due to vitamin B
- Number 1 in antioxidant activity when compared to 60 other fresh fruits
- Neutralizes free radicals within the body and aids in belly fat reduction
- Highest Omega-3 source content in nature – higher than salmon
- Balances and stabilizes blood sugar level by slowing down the level at which glucose enters your bloodstream
Maca Root (superfood)
- Works as an adaptogen which means that it responds to different bodies’ needs individually. If you’re producing too much of a particular hormone, maca will regulate the production downward. However, if you’re producing too little, it’ll regulate the production upward.
- Strong antibacterial properties killing cavity causing bacteria in the mouth
- Myristicin found in nutmeg inhibits an enzyme in the brain that contributes to Alzheimer’s disease and used to improve memory
These are only a few of the benefits that make this smoothie so great!
Ahuja, P. (2009). Health benefits of nutmeg. Retrieved April 4, 2014, from http://completewellbeing.com/article/a-nutty-affair/
Bardot, J. (2012). 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas. Retrieved April 4, 2014, from http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/25-powerful-reasons-to-eat-bananas
Evans, K. (2009). Benefits of Maca Root. Retrieved April 4, 2014, from http://www.naturalnews.com/027797_maca_root_hormone_balance.html
McCarthy, J. (2010). Joyous Health. Retrieved April 4, 2014, from http://www.joyoushealth.ca/blog/2010/09/09/8-health-benefits-of-chi-chi-chia-blood-sugar-belly-fat-more/
Rosenbloom, C. (2008). The top 25 healthy fruits. Retrieved April 4, 2014, from http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nutrition/top_25_healthy_fruits_blueberries_apples_cherries_bananas_and_21_more_healthy_picks.php